Thursday, May 10, 2007

The big event- Lucy's three sons




This is Lucy, the daughter of our chihuahua Penny, sister of our little Emma. Penny was the mother of our beloved Emma and the mother of Lucy (her father was a long-haired chihuahua). Emma was killed by a car last fall soon after we moved to Michigan.
These puppies are Shi-Chi's, half Shih-Tzu/half Chihuahua. Their father is a Shih-Tzu, the same father that fathered Emma. Lucy is a chihuahua. Her father was a very handsome long-haired chihuahua named Winslow.
It was a bit of scare. I had to pull the first puppy out, the little brown one. I could see little feet, but after 40 minutes of straining he wasn't being born. I consulted my puppy whelping websites and they all said that I was going to have to pull him out, but that it might kill him. Shaking like a leaf, I reached up, glove on and was able to get a grip on his little body and gently pull. He came out squalling, full of vigor. Lucy went to work on him and thank goodness he is fine.
Today we will take Lucy and the pups into the vet because my fingers might have introduced bacteria that could cause an infection.
The other two puppies were born at 45 minute intervals with no trouble, breathing immediately, showing vigor and nursing right away. Lucy is proving to be a devoted mother.
The three pups and I share a birthday..... YAY!!!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: