Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Changing Painting




Painting is a little like sculpting. You can carve away the image you're looking for, adding paint and "carving" into the image again.
I have to be careful of the emotional state that I'm in when I paint because it always come through in the image, especially the face.
The photos show the progression of the painting, the top being first and the last being where it is now, still not done.

Markel and I watched the DVD Capote a few nights ago and the face I painted in the second frame reminded me of the face of the actor who played thekiller Capote befriended.... that bothered me, so I altered it, then it became the face of a woman I know, who I am not very fond of.....and that didn't set well either, so now, in the last frame I'm happier with that face, but not completely settled on it.

Last night Markel and I watched a documentary about David Hockney where he talked about painting his mother's face over 12 times until he got it where he wanted it.....which illustrates the wonders and plasticity of paint
Posted by Picasa

No comments: